just took The Plunge, was Re: [geeks] Recommendations?

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Sun Apr 7 15:57:58 CDT 2002

>On April 7, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
>>  I might as well chime in - my G4 500MP is stable as a rock - (it started
>>  life as a single 500, the MP upgrade was absurdly easy!)  In all the
>>  time I've been using OS X, it nas *never* crashed (ala BSOD) on me.
>>  Once, I had something go horribly wrong with quicktime, so I did an
>>  orderly shutdown/restart.
>>
>>  OS X gives me a consumer-level system that is as stable as the Solaris
>>  systems I use daily.  Having lived through every Mac system release
>>  since the beginning, I have to say that OS X is my reward for the wait.
>
>   This is a big day for me.  I just moved to my G4/400 (MacOS 10.1.3)
>as my primary desktop.

Wow!  Congrats!  Welcome to the club.

>   Everything is working extremely well, including X integration.  I have
>a couple of outstanding problems so far, though:
>

>   - no FDDI drivers...suffering with ethernet for now, barf-o
>
>   - my compact flash reader (early SanDisk SDDR-05b) has no MacOS X drivers

Did you install the devtools cd?  Check out this site for more info
on how to rectumfy this situation: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

>   - no CD burner software

What burner do you have?

>   - no virtual desktops

I've never had a system that virual desktops worked on right so...
Can't say anything here except that you could run X in rooted mode
and switch back and forth...

>   - can't get it to boot from a Qlogic QLA1080 or Adaptec 2940UW SCSI board

firmware up to date on the cards?

>   - can't get guile working (guile libraries are required to compile the
>                              schematic capture software I use for work)

Let me mess with it and I'll get back to you on that one.

>   Any advice or assistance on any of these matters would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>   I'm running mozilla 0.9.9 for my browser, (very nice), and an SGI/Sony
>20E21 monitor at 1600x1200 @ 75Hz.
>
>   I've had a "pure UNIX box" on my desk as my main machine for the past
>thirteen years.  My desktop machines have been a VAXstation-I, a
>VAXstation-II, a Sun-3/50, a Sun-4/110, a SPARCstation 1+, then an
>IPX, then an SS20, followed finally by an SGI I^2 R10K/195 MaxImpact.

I've had a mac on my desk for most of that time, seems to be the best
of both worlds.

>   This is very, very nice.  Very nice indeed.  I'm stiff, here.

Purty isnt it?

daniel