[geeks] Recommendations?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Apr 7 13:40:00 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 22:15, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Well you can pick up a really nice GeForce 2 MX based board for almost
> nothing these days, potentially with video in/out and multiple monitor

Yeah, I've got a GeForce 2MX 64MB card here, I paid $80 for it shipped a
few months ago.  It's a stomping fast card, even when I was using it on
a system slower than yours (AMD K6-2 300MHz, 256MB of ram).  You can
probably find a GeForce 2 in PCI versions now, which should be a bit
faster than the MX, if only from faster ram on the card.

> support, the same goes for GeForce3 and now GeForce 4 if you want even more
> features (for which you spend even more money). Nvidia offers Linux drivers

I don't think that's a particularly worthwhile way to go, and I haven't
seen either of these available in PCI versions.  Though, if you're
talking about the GeForce MX cards other than the GeForce 2MX, I have to
say -run for your life-.  The new MX cards are crappier than the old
one, and much crappier than the old GeForce cards.

I've found my GeForce to have adequate 2d performance.  The picture
isn't as nice as the Matrox that I sent to Bill, but it's good enough
most of the time, and certainly looks better than my Creator 2d.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.