[geeks] Video card recommendations <cont.>

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Sun Apr 7 13:50:02 CDT 2002

>So the 64 MB won't help for playing at higher resolutions?

Depends on the game but you are *SERIOUSLY* CPU bound here so probably not.

>Right now I have a TNT 1 16MB the sound stutters and when there are
>a lot of guys in the room on Wolfenstein it is intensely jerky.  If
>you add detail it doesn't seem to change it too much until you bump
>the res a notch higher.  I'd like it to be slightly sluggish perhaps
>but a whole lot more playable (smooth sluggishness if you know what
>I mean).

This is a CPU loading issue from the sounds of it.

>The 64 is still in the right price range since the girlfriend is
>going to buy it.

Can she buy a new mb/case/cpu/ram?

seriously... you're *WAY* more cpu bound than card limited.  The GF2
will help that a little bit as it offloads some of the lighting and
triangle setup onto the chip but still... I've seen it make a *HUGE*
difference what kind of CPU you have.

daniel