[geeks] argh

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 11:46:51 CDT 2002

On April 7, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> >   Ahh, ok.  Well, I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy, so that's the
> > perspective from which my comments come.  The networks that I build
> > *work*, and they work well...this has nothing to do with what some
> > marketroid feels like selling this week.
> I don't care about marketing. But I have to keep in mind what I can by
> today - and tomorow to replace broken parts, do extensions... I still
> can buy FDDI parts today. And tomorow?

  You could buy new PDP-8/e boards as recently as five years ago; I
think you know how old that machine is...and it was one product from
one company, not an IEEE standard.

  I'm not trying to be argumentative with you, Jochen...It just really
rubs me the wrong way when people scream "dead! dead!" just because
something stops appearing in glossy magazine ads.  It's pretty
ridiculous.

> OK. I didn't had the data center / high end applications in mind when I
> worte this. Sure. There is no room for IDE in a DC. But I think the
> classical parallel SCSI is dying. I hope it will be replaced by somthing
> like Fiber-Channel or Fire-Wire - not serial ATA.

  Parallel SCSI is where capacity and transfer rate innovation is
happening...each new crop of larger disks is released in SCSI and
followed by IDE some time later.  FC is nice, and even faster than the
already ridiculously fast current parallel SCSI, but it's still pretty
expensive to take advantage of.  A few of us are working on
changing that, though. ;)

  The very concept of serial ATA makes me want to vomit, by the way. ;)

> OK. And now I have to get the Solaris drivers for my SBus FDDI card that
> arrived today. :-)

  Good luck achiving tasty Solaris FDDI goodness!

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar