[geeks] argh

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 7 11:01:47 CDT 2002

On 2002.04.07 14:43 Dave McGuire wrote:

> > FDDI: Is this still used for new installations?
>   Not much, no.
=> Dead technic.

> That, however, doesn't negate its technical advantages,
Of course not. CI / DSSI has its technical advantages too, but it is as
dead as DEC is. Or Apollo Token Ring...

> and it won't prevent me from installing it if I
> determine it's the right tool for the job.
Sure, as I would do too. You would use it, as you have "The Plan (C) (R)
(TM)" and you know what you are talking about. But the horizon of the
usual network weenie (read consultant) ends at Ethernet, perhaps
tokenring. (The IEEE 802.5 version, not ATR or somthing else.)

>   Ahh, ok.  Well, I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy, so that's the
> perspective from which my comments come.  The networks that I build
> *work*, and they work well...this has nothing to do with what some
> marketroid feels like selling this week.
I don't care about marketing. But I have to keep in mind what I can by
today - and tomorow to replace broken parts, do extensions... I still
can buy FDDI parts today. And tomorow?

>   Yes, and the Yugo was the cheapest car available...did it take over
> the world?  IDE is rarely used in *serious* data center applications.
> It's just not good enough.
OK. I didn't had the data center / high end applications in mind when I
worte this. Sure. There is no room for IDE in a DC. But I think the
classical parallel SCSI is dying. I hope it will be replaced by somthing
like Fiber-Channel or Fire-Wire - not serial ATA.

OK. And now I have to get the Solaris drivers for my SBus FDDI card that
arrived today. :-)
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen