[geeks] argh

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 7 06:49:08 CDT 2002

On  6 Apr, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   *bzzzt*  McGuire's Big Red Button alert.
>   FDDI and SCSI are "gone"?
FDDI: Is this still used for new installations? E.g. the local
university has thrown out all remaining FDDI stuf and replaced it by
GBit/s Ethernet. (Some years ago they replaced much of it with ATM.)

> Wow, I guess I'd better stop using them.
Using existing hardware is one thing. (Hey, we are still using VAXen and
SMD drives! At least I do.) Still active on the market is an other
thing and that is what I am talking about.

> Though FDDI stuff isn't being produced in the same volume it was a
> couple of years ago, SCSI certainly is.
OK. SCSI isn't dead, but it will be daed soon. When I look at the
prices for SCSI components, and at the price of there IDE counterparts,
I want wo \begin{whine}. At least here in good old Germany the ratio
SCSI / IDE is about 4..5!!!
--

tschuess,
          Jochen