[geeks] fDdI

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 7 07:19:46 CDT 2002

On  6 Apr, Ethan wrote:

> Hooray! I just picked up 4 PCI FDDI cards for Sun (Network Peripherals)..
> $15 each from eBay.
If you want to use them in a PCI Sun. For many other systems
(especially a free *ix OS) DEC DEFPA is what you want, because you have
no problems getting a driver.

> FDDI is still okay in my book. Great for adding a backend network to
> Indys, Challenge S's and Suns...
The same for me. Where 100 MBit/s Ethernet is unavailable or
unaffordable, FDDI is the way out. BTW: The performance of a 100 MBit/s
EISA card in a Indigo2 R4400 is disappointing. Have to get a GIO 64
FDDI card...

> we use a Cabletron 7C04 to bridge FDDI to 100baseT.
Two Cabletron ESX-1320 here. Has only 10BaseT ports, but they are
switched and all my Ethernet stuff is 10 MBit/s.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz