[geeks] Recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 03:14:49 CDT 2002

On April 7, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >   Umm, dude, NOBODY writes bare Xlib code.  Except toolkit developers,
> > that is. ;)
>
> Nobody writes bare Win32 API code either, apparently.  Either that's the
> reality, or Microsoft's goal; I can't tell, but the last few rounds of
> changes are -ugly-.
>
> I tried GTK, and I sort-of like their way of doing encapsulation in bare C
> (tagged-structs), but the resulting executable runs like crap.  Motif
> looks like crap, but at least it doesn't run -horribly-.

  I rather like the look of Motif myself.  GTK is weird...it seems
that some GTK apps are slower than pissing tar, while others are
fine.  I don't understand why.  The schematic capture package I use,
gschem (part of gEDA), has a really nice user interface that's plenty
fast...and it's done in GTK...while other GTK programs I've tried just
drag my [nowhere near "slow"] machine down to its knees.

  It's weird.

> Any suggestions?  I might be needing to cobble together some X code soon,
> and I'd like a C toolkit that doesn't look like ass, isn't horribly
> sluggish, and isn't as much "fun" to code against as Xlib.

  I'd suggest investigating why some GTK programs perform well, then
develop using GTK with the same techniques. :)

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar