[geeks] Recommendations?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 7 03:00:42 CDT 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Umm, dude, NOBODY writes bare Xlib code.  Except toolkit developers,
> that is. ;)

Nobody writes bare Win32 API code either, apparently.  Either that's the
reality, or Microsoft's goal; I can't tell, but the last few rounds of
changes are -ugly-.

I tried GTK, and I sort-of like their way of doing encapsulation in bare C
(tagged-structs), but the resulting executable runs like crap.  Motif
looks like crap, but at least it doesn't run -horribly-.

Any suggestions?  I might be needing to cobble together some X code soon,
and I'd like a C toolkit that doesn't look like ass, isn't horribly
sluggish, and isn't as much "fun" to code against as Xlib.

--Jonathan