[geeks] Recommendations?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 7 01:50:28 CST 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> If people that HAVE to use Windows would use add/remove programs
> properly, not install crap they dont need, uninstall crap they dont
> use, etc, windows can be a GREAT web browser/SSH terminal-system.

I'm probably a bit more perverse than is actually healthy, but I like
Windows[1] as a development platform.  Aside from the lack of networked
graphics, I -like- the Win32 API (a hell of a lot more than libX11,
anyway).  Part of this is probably due to billg having gotten to my brain
before the X11 club had a chance--blame the school system.

Then again, the Win32 API is getting consistently -worse-, and it's to the
point that it's almost impossible to write a fully modernized Windows app
without using either MFC or ActiveX, neither of which are to my liking.
So, it's not as pretty anymore, but I think it used to be -nice-.

But the internal message-passing system is just neat.  I wish X were as
easy to code for.  I've thought of learning Motif, but haven't gotten
around to it yet.

--Jonathan
[1] For values of Windows not including 95, 98, and ME.  Back in the 3.1
    days, I hosted my Win3.1 development on OS/2 because it was faster and
    more reliable.