[geeks] Recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 01:46:03 CST 2002

On April 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I have seen Apples give an amazing amount of trouble with video editing.
> A friend of mine had no end of trouble with his B&W G3 machine.  It had
> SCSI, a DC30, an AudioMedia III, and was only running Protools and Premiere.
>
> Despite the DC30, most work was via firewire, with the DC30 mainly used to
> drive the monitor and output to tape.
>
> Anyway, the machine crashed and glitched all over the place.  I have no idea
> why.  It was at it's worst when capture or printing firewire video.  Most
> people who saw it said their machines didn't behave that badly.

I know one guy who consistently had weird troubles with both of his
Macs, but he's been the exception rather than the rule.  And another
guy, a very knowledgeable Mac person, crashes EVERY MAC HE SITS IN
FRONT OF.  Frequently.  My G4 has crashed on me exactly once since I
bought it (I got it immediately after they started shipping).  He has
sat down in front of it and crashed it dozens of times.  I just don't
understand it.

  I jokingly attribute it to the use of too many keyboard shortcuts.
"GUIs are meant to be used with mice.  Of course some people think
it's 'cool' to badmouth mice and use the keyboard for EVERYTHING even
if it takes them twice as long, and this pisses the machine off."

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar