[geeks] Recommendations?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Apr 6 23:48:15 CST 2002

I am going to upgrade the video board in my Dual Pentium Pro 200 1MB
(512MB ECC) from a Nvidia Riva TNT (1) 16MB to something a lot newer,

I was looking for recommendations of a good card for all around
performance.  Most important to least important:

1. Works with as many OS's as possible (specifically FreeBSD and Win2K)
2. Is great for games (this is the real reason I'm buying the card...
I've got a lot of lag and poor performance in some of the newer games
when I pump the detail up.  I'd like to max out detail and have only the
CPU be the bottleneck)

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I like to pay for quality #1, and #2 this
is mainly for the girlfriend.
(Diablo II, Baldur's Gate 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, NOLF, etc.)
Good for both DirectEcch and GL.

I was looking at several.

ATI has a Radeon 7000 or something like that (PCI) (I only have PCI)

or the 64MB DDR Hercules card.

whatever the nVidia corresponding card is as well.

Andrew