[geeks] Trade? Cray for an Origin?

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Apr 4 13:37:35 CST 2002

> great bargains!". Morons. I did pick up a sun monitor though for $25 though
> which was nice as I did not have one and did not want to have one shipped
> in.

Yeah, it was insane.

True story... I almost left my job to work for Picus, but didn't since I
had only been here for 1 month. But I went over there to browse the crap
for the auction... and I sat there for a while trying to figure out who
my competion was. So I'm sitting there for a while, thinking how nice the
e450s would be sitting in my living room. Stupid family after stupid
family passed by, "HUH UH Windows would load in SECONDS on that thing" or
"huh huh you could run an ISP on that thing!!" Payday, I thought. Finally
some other guy comes in, lookin' way outta pace. Hat on, tooth pick,
overalls... nawwww he wants a PC for the grandkids.

He walks up to the Suns.... looks at me, looks at them... "Do you know
what revision the system board is?" "No" "Fujitsu or Segate
disks?" FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK. Guy sits down with a flashlight and
whips out the cell phone, citing off everything it has to someone on the
phone. Reseller. Actually neither of us got the systems, some other guy (I
presume maybe the guy is local?) from "Argus technologies" bought alot of
the hardware. He had buyers in line already.

I bought a Fibre channel hub (Vixel) and got two Qlogic QL2200 PCI 64
cards with it. Not bad I guess (Paid about $200 for it all). Should have
bought the Assend Max... SHOULD HAVE. One went for $800 equipped with 96
modems.

> 	BTW here is a funny thing the list might chuckle at involving the
> above. when Picus[1] went under they tried to do an underhanded deal[2] to
> sell their user base to a company in new england[3] for cheap. The
> bankruptcy court turned the offer down. The offer was upped and then
> accepted. Well apparently the bankruptcy court got the last laugh. When it
> agreed to sell the users it did not agree to sell the HARDWARE that was
> associated with it as originally intended by the buyer.

Omega? Hah. They still maintain some sort of local office. They try to buy
out the small guys .

> 	I found out about this at the auction when I saw a guy loading
> overpriced servers and switches into a cart to buy before the actual
> auction(they had a three day pay a fee to buy it before the auction period
> open to the public), looking really pissed. I asked someone about  it and
> they said it was the owner of the new england company trying to get back as
> much as he could so that he could actually USE the accounts he just bought.
> I laughed my ass at the greedy fuck.

Hah! Yea, Picus had a butt ton of manger people on the staff. Looking at
the amount of cell phones at the auction, it is no wonder they were out of
business. Their offices were plush. The funny thing is,
AtlanticRemarketing.com and partner turned down a bid for 1.1 million for
the 96 COs worth of DSLAMs and such... then they finally accepted it, then
the buyer said no... so AFAIK all of that hardware still sits seeking
buyer.

Now TraderOnine.com has the building (That building was originally built
for Picus. Picus used to be in lynhaven, their offices were not
ghetto... they were very nice). Picus also had a NOC at the world trade
center in Norfolk Virignia... they had two Nortel DMS-500s also (that
sold).

Picus had bought out Forbidden Playground (some butt-pirate majorbbs),
iTribe (or iTried) and a bunch of other ISPs. iTribe used to be in the
WTC... so I don't know if that is the space that Picus took over. Someone
had said the money for Picus was from the middle east or something, and it
dried up like a Saudi oil well when the company failed to turn a
profit. No proof or real knowledge of that, though.

Those e450s would have been nice though. Arrgh.

But never fear, origin 2000 time.