[geeks] Trade? Cray for an Origin?

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Apr 4 13:15:30 CST 2002

	I thought that was you but I did not have the old E-mails handy to
check. Picus auction was flat insane. $800 for a Pentium 350 laptop, used!?!
$600 for a Pentium 400 desktop system!?! And their were people calling their
friends on their cell phones to tell them to "get on down here for these
great bargains!". Morons. I did pick up a sun monitor though for $25 though
which was nice as I did not have one and did not want to have one shipped
in.

	BTW here is a funny thing the list might chuckle at involving the
above. when Picus[1] went under they tried to do an underhanded deal[2] to
sell their user base to a company in new england[3] for cheap. The
bankruptcy court turned the offer down. The offer was upped and then
accepted. Well apparently the bankruptcy court got the last laugh. When it
agreed to sell the users it did not agree to sell the HARDWARE that was
associated with it as originally intended by the buyer.
	I found out about this at the auction when I saw a guy loading
overpriced servers and switches into a cart to buy before the actual
auction(they had a three day pay a fee to buy it before the auction period
open to the public), looking really pissed. I asked someone about  it and
they said it was the owner of the new england company trying to get back as
much as he could so that he could actually USE the accounts he just bought.
I laughed my ass at the greedy fuck.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org

[1] A local DSL provider who was going to "shake up" the industry and rule
the world. These guys went from sponsoring the annual music festival,
building a new office with conference center to be built next to it, and
having a want to hire list that had forty high tech openings on it to being
bankrupt in four MONTHS. Amazing flameout even by www.fuckedcompany.com
standards.

[2] The company that was going to buy it employed the wife of the president
of picus as a vice president. Of course they claimed there was no conflict
of interest and that this had not been planned out well in advance.

[3] Name escapes me at the moment.