[geeks] Common IP lease?

jeff borisch jborisch at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 2 17:45:05 CST 2002

>Network? what network?

I thought there was a possibility of another machine on the network swiping your DHCP lease from time to time.

>As for the lease it usually expires when I am sitting here, but it
>has happened when I am both here and away from the keyboard.

Sometimes in areas where the service is oversold, I heard the DHCP lease can be taken from inactive cable modems. I've never heard of this happening to someone *while* they were using their computer on the network. I'm not a network engineer either so I don't know how true this information is. Like you, I'm interested in learning more about how all this stuff works.

--jeff