Brian Hechinger's "low end" (was: Re: [geeks] NAT and Filtering on Solaris)

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Tue Apr 2 17:02:47 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 07:37:53AM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > U10 = crap.  Cheap tower, IDE instead of SCSI, pain in the ass to
> > service.
>
> AND YOU HAVE TO TURN IT UPSIDE DOWN TO TAKE THE COVER OFF.  What kind of
> FUCKED UP design is that?

True story: Back in '98 whrn i was buying the E10K @ NCGR, I did a
corporate visit with Sun.  At lunch I was asked about the U5 and U10 -
"Aren't they great?"

My response was, "No, they suck."

When pressed, I explained that the case design was retarded, the IDE was
bugger-all slow, and they DIDN'T HAVE 24-BIT GRAPHICS! (the original
ones.)  I said that it was inexcusable not to.

The last ones, the 440MHz, when equipped with Elite 3D were not too bad.
Give me a U2 or a U60 any day.

-Pete