[geeks] NAT and Filtering on Solaris

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Apr 1 19:06:07 CST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 06:32:34PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> It's IDE.  Blowing/sucking is inherent, except for the pricetag (ie: you
> get what you pay for).

U5/10 IDE is even worse than normal.

> But, apart from, that, it's a fine machine.  Quite
> easily the nicest SPARC I've ever owned.

toss a SCSI card in it and your opinion of it will go way up. :)

i'm assuming you run it headless, since the video it comes with is quite
lackluster (especially for an SGI nut like you)

other than those two things, not a bad machine.  ultra2 is still my favorite
"low end" sun though.

> > a U5 is OVERKILL for this.  i was using a sparc5 at one point, and my
> > bridging filtering box will be a sparc2.
>
> I'm fully aware of that, but I -have- a U10 that I'm using as a CD
> toasting and portability-testing box.  I've given away all my other
> SPARCs, and tossing another Ethernet interface into the Octane is -way-
> out of budget right now.

it was more to let you know you wouldn't be unimpressed with it's performance
than to knock you for using such an underpowered box.

> Actually, from what I'm seeing, it'll actually be cheaper to pick up a SS5
> or an SS2+Weitek and drop in an sbus Ethernet card than to buy another hme
> for the U10.  Anyone have any (of either) they're willing to get rid of
> for fairly cheap? [1]

i don't have any spare stuff in that range for you unfortunately, but isn't
there a non-Sun ethernet card he could use?  obviously 100Mbit isn't needed
since his internet can't even go 10Mbit (unless he got a T3 installed or
something, heh)

> [1] No, I'm still not going to buy a NetGear home router.  If I can't get
>     an affordable solution out of a SPARC, I'm going to pull the Packard
>     Bell out of the garage and OBSD -that- POS.  The PB, as much as it may
>     suck, is far more hackable and fun than a network minirouter
>     appliance.

those network appliance boxes are nice and easy, but i don't feel comfortable
using them.  i'd rather had a sun or a cisco doing the job.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)