[geeks] NAT and Filtering on Solaris

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 1 18:32:34 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> >      I'm really excited about getting a full-time job for that nice U10
> > I've got, but I don't want to bother if it's going to be a PITA about
> > having the external interface lacking a static IP or if the performance is
> > going to be lackluster.
>
> since it won't be disk heavy usage, it should do just fine.  the IDE subsystem
> of the U5/10 BLOWS.

It's IDE.  Blowing/sucking is inherent, except for the pricetag (ie: you
get what you pay for).  But, apart from, that, it's a fine machine.  Quite
easily the nicest SPARC I've ever owned.

> a U5 is OVERKILL for this.  i was using a sparc5 at one point, and my
> bridging filtering box will be a sparc2.

I'm fully aware of that, but I -have- a U10 that I'm using as a CD
toasting and portability-testing box.  I've given away all my other
SPARCs, and tossing another Ethernet interface into the Octane is -way-
out of budget right now.

Actually, from what I'm seeing, it'll actually be cheaper to pick up a SS5
or an SS2+Weitek and drop in an sbus Ethernet card than to buy another hme
for the U10.  Anyone have any (of either) they're willing to get rid of
for fairly cheap? [1]

--Jonathan
[1] No, I'm still not going to buy a NetGear home router.  If I can't get
    an affordable solution out of a SPARC, I'm going to pull the Packard
    Bell out of the garage and OBSD -that- POS.  The PB, as much as it may
    suck, is far more hackable and fun than a network minirouter
    appliance.