[geeks] DHCP silliness

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 17:01:11 CST 2001

[ On Sunday, November 25, 2001 at 11:41:39 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] DHCP silliness
>
> I have two NetBSD/sparc boxes.  One has DHCP on it at the moment, but soon it
> will also have bootp, rarpd, tfpd, etc, for use as a boot server between my
> various machines (Xyplex, Javastation, HP PA Risc, 486 w/ dos partition and
> netboot software).

Note that the DHCP server (dhcpd) in NetBSD (i.e. the ISC version)
handles BOOTP requests.  You cannot run dhcpd and bootpd at the same
time (at least not on the same interface) -- they listen to the same
port.  Besides having one consistent config file for both is a major
benefit!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>