[geeks] DHCP silliness

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 10:41:39 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 11:59:38PM -0800, Geoff Reed wrote:
> At 01:52 AM 11/25/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Yes.  But on the up side, just like they fixed the Unexplained Application
> >Exception that plauged us in Windows 3.0, it appears that they have now
> >fixed
> >the BSOD the same way, thus ensuring that XP will never be superior.
>
> Um, they didn't fix it, they just renamed it :)  UAE's became IPF's  (this
> was explained to us on day one of our windows 95 support training when I
> worked at microsoft in Personal operating Systems support)
>
> >In the mean time, I think I figured out how to fix my problem without
> >having to
> >bring the Win98 box back as a DHCP server again.  At least, my notebook
> >seems
> >to be working fine now that the netbsd box gives out a different DNS server
> >w/
> >it's DHCP info.
>
> You could also set up your NetBSD box with a caching only DNS service on it

I have two NetBSD/sparc boxes.  One has DHCP on it at the moment, but soon it
will also have bootp, rarpd, tfpd, etc, for use as a boot server between my
various machines (Xyplex, Javastation, HP PA Risc, 486 w/ dos partition and
netboot software).

The other box should probably be reinstalled w/ OpenBSD, but I don't have any
OpenBSD CDs, and the boot server isn't yet ready.  It's task though will
be to be the router/NAT/DNS (caching for external, plus serving as an internal
DNS)/Proxy (Socks and http).  Configuration of this machine is going much
slower.

--
Joshua D. Boyd