[geeks] WTB: FH 5.25" SCSI-1 enclosure

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 00:36:18 CST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> A tekky on campus (employee in computer center, not student) said that
> technically, external SCSI is meant to be hot swappable, and usually if there
> are problems it is either from incorrect SCSI cards, or OSs that support it
> proper.  I thought that sounded cool, but I've never heard it from anywhere
> else.

He's full of crap - it's not intended to be hot-swap.  That said, if you
are careful, you can switch *inactive* devices.  It's not something I
would do in a production enviroment unless I had some serious practive
first.

My philosophy on it is: If you are good, you can get away with it.  Just
make sure you are good enough to deal with the results if you f**k it up.

-Pete