[geeks] WTB: FH 5.25" SCSI-1 enclosure

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 00:29:58 CST 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 10:16:56PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Hrm, wonder if its okay for me to just turn off this drive when I'm not
> > using it (its the only thing on the external scsi bus).
>
> Well, let's put it this way.  Back @NCGR we used to *swap* SCSI devices
> w/o bringing the servers down. :-)
>
> (I power off tape devices all the time.)

A tekky on campus (employee in computer center, not student) said that
technically, external SCSI is meant to be hot swappable, and usually if there
are problems it is either from incorrect SCSI cards, or OSs that support it
proper.  I thought that sounded cool, but I've never heard it from anywhere
else.

--
Joshua D. Boyd