[geeks] HAM License

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 26 21:55:10 CST 2001

Ron,

The first thing is to check out the ARRL web site for online resources, and
a list of the exam coordinators and local ARRL affiliated organizations in
your area. Almost all active HAM clubs will have regular instructor
sessions, and/or "class 'til you pass" type sessions designed to get you
your tech license right away. I got mine after reading the corusebook and
two nights of classes, and I didnt even need that. Other than the specific
regs I knew most of the stuf in the tech test.

Then get yourself a portable radio (reciever only is fine for now, but
you'll probably want an honest to god transciever), preferably in the 2m
range or dual band (2m 440mhz) if you live near any major urban area, or a 6
meter if you live in a rural area and start listening.

Then once you feel comfy start talking man

Chris Byrne, KB1DXJ