[geeks] Admin priorities

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 05:41:29 CST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:21:38PM -0500, Kevin P. Inscoe wrote:
> What do you think for the following priorities I have put together? My
> intention is to apply this priority scheme when assigning projects to
> the administrators. Kind of like the "General Orders" for Marine
> Sentries.
>
> Administrator Priorities
>
> 1) Correct problems as they occur.
>
> 2) Create, verify and document backups.

I'm undecided which of these is most important.  Certainly if you have
more than one administrator they must get equal priority.

> 4) Establish system monitoring.

Again, this is *very* important as it can notify you of impending problems
hence meaning you have less to do in (1).  The pursuit of laziness is a
worthy calling for a sysadmin.

> 5) Implement change management.

As above.  Proper change management means less whinging users asking you
to restore yesterday's work from backup.

   The voices said it's a good day to clean my weapons.