[geeks] It's a small f'ing world after all!

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 22 13:23:56 CST 2001

Hi!

Last night I had the pelasure of meeting up with Chris Bryne and his
wife for dinner. In our discourse we found that not only do I know
Chris via these lists @sunhelp.org but Drea knows of me via some...
rambunctious friends of mine who tried to dominate the conversation on
a mailing list she moderates.

One of the interesting things an acquaintance did in Silly Valley was
keep a sign-in list at his parties-- you'd list your name and how you
knew the host or someone else at the party. Then you draw the
comparisons-- geeks run in many different circles, but not all geeks
run in all circles:

gamers (tabletop) --- gamers (pc) --- coders --- (SAs) --- renn-faire
--- goth --- firearms --- treehuggers --- old hardware --- comics
(sluggh) --- comics (goats) --- comics (UF) --- IRC --- fetishists --
etc.... pick two or three for yourself, and two or three for friends. I
think a Venn Diagram describes it best after all.

Oh well, just a $.02 for today... considering it's still morning. I
gotta get back to class (not like I had much to begin with, but
oh-well...)

-Jon