[geeks] Working in Ireland and the U.K. (us immigrant with Irish citizenship)

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 08:31:44 CST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 03:41:47AM -0800, Christopher Byrne wrote:
> As far as the interesting time thing goes I'm sure you read my other post on
> how I was denied my security clearance. Well I've done some research on the
> subject, and it appears that for the past several years there has been a
> pattern of discrimination in security clearances against people with strong
> ties to irish nationalist groups.

Hmm. I very much anti-American nationalist groups, because they provide great
financial support for the Real IRA, the Provisional IRA in it's heyday, etc.
>From simply looking around the web it's easy to see the amount of bullshit
that Irish-Americans are fed and believe about what goes on back here - I've
come across sites that claim that Sinn Fein can't speak on radio/TV - That
ended, what, 7 years ago?

> I'm guessing it was an outgrowth of the Clinton administrations unoficial
> "pretend the provos dont exist, and deny them any political power" policy.

Em, Sinn Fein have cabinet seats in The Assembly. Clinton was very attentive
to Sinn Fein.

> BTW, I was born and raised in Boston, where I was inundated with Irish and
> phony-irish nationalism for most of my life.

You poor thing. :)

> One thing that surprised me is in general how poor senior technical people
> were payed over there. In the job postings I have seen, 45k IEP was
> considered a great salary, but that's only like 60k USD, which is less than
> half of what I make here in the U.S.

Hey, *and* we pay high taxes. :)

> I did check out that emigrant site before I sent off the post, and it's
> good, but I really need the personal feel so to speak. I have to get a sense
> if this is something real, or if it jsut wouldnt work, and numbers jsut dont
> help with that.

Hmm, methinks you need to find somebody (i.e. not me) who's actually lived
elsewhere to compare. :)

--
Brian Scanlan, Systems Administrator.
Irish Times New Media - http://www.ireland.com