[geeks] What's your computing present (equipment inventory)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 10:30:08 CST 2001

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 04:36:08AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:57:17PM -0800, Christopher Byrne wrote:
> > Now what's your computing present?
>
> Network:

>=20
> I know I forgot something...

Oh yeah, so did I.  I forgot the network :-)

I use a Cabletron MicroMMAC 24-port 10Mbit hub, which I got *dirt*
cheap.  The vendor had four different hubs, all 24-port, all 10Mbit,
so I bought the one with the most flashing lights.  It has 51.  Two
(link and data) for each port, one for power, one for collision, and
one whose purpose I have not got a clue about.  It says "CPU" next to
it and it just flashes on and off all day.

There's also a D-Link 'Hubby' 5-port hub in my bedroom, with nothing
connected to it right now.

I connect to the rest of the world with 512/256Kbps ADSL, provided
by the very nice people at <www.nildram.net> and the naughty, wicked
*evil* people at <www.bt.com>.  It hasn't gone wrong yet (touch wood)
and I rate nildram very highly.  Their tech suport people are pretty
clueful, and even better, they're not afraid to admit when they're out
of their depth.  When they can't answer my questions, they give me the
usual "we'll get someone to call you, when would be convenient", and -
shock! horror! - they really *do* call me, when they said they would!

No, I couldn't believe it either, a clueful ISP.  Mind you, they are
expensive.  I could have got the same package elsewhere for half the
price, but not with the clueful staff and the excellent network.  That's
worth paying for.

--=20
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms

--vOmOzSkFvhd7u8Ms--