[geeks] What's your computing present (equipment inventory)

Christopher Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 05:20:47 CST 2001

Hmm, I just showed Drea the little equipment inventory I made, and she was
somewhat irked. I dont think she realized how much crap we have.

So in order to placate her I formulated a plan to reduce the total number of
computing boxes we have without reducing the ability or versatility of
computing (also known as, a good excuse to buy nifty stuff)

Here goes

Step one, sell everything
Step two buy the following

1 SGI Octane2 2xR12000a 400, 1 gig ram, V12 video with 128mb vram, 2x36gig
drives, SGI 1600sw flat panel display
1 SunBlade 1000 2x750, 1gig ram, Expert 3d, 2x36gig drives 18" sun flatpanel
display
1 G4 733 DP, 1 gig ram, GeForce 3, 2x36gig, Apple 22" studio display
1 2x1.5Gghz Athlon, 1gig ram, 2x36gig, GeForce 3, Viewsonic 20" flat panel
display

See that way we go from ten computers down to four, and still get to keep
all of cour computing capability...

She thought it was an interesting idea until I mentioned that it would cost
something like $75k (40K for the SGI, 20k for the sun, 10k for the mac, 5k
for the PC). She was somewhat less enthused with the plan at that point, and
suggested that perhaps a better way to reduce our machine count would
involve a blowtorch, sledgehammer, and chainsaw.

I figure we'll meet somewhere in the middle on this one ;-)

Chris Byrne