[geeks] What's your computing present (equipment inventory)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 10:22:11 CST 2001

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:57:17PM -0800, Christopher Byrne wrote:

> Okay my last post was asking about everyones computing history. Now what's
> your computing present? What do you own or use regularly right now, and w=
hat
> do you plan to get in the near future?

I have a no-name Intel box with a 500MHz AMD CPU and 128Mb, which is my
main fileserver.  Right now, it's exporting about 30Gb of disk space via
NFS.  It is farmer-giles.barnyard.co.uk if you lot fancy pinging it :-)

There's another no-name Intel box - cowshed-door.barnyard.co.uk - a 33MHz
486 with 8Mb whose sole job is to do masquerading for my Windows
machine (well, windows in vmware on Linux actually), my Mac and my Indy.
It also runs netatalk, and re-exports the NFS share on farmer-giles using
that.

My main machine is a P3/600 laptop with 192Mb, running Redhat.  I run
vmware on it when I need to do word processing (with Amipro!) or do things
like route planning.  Whilst it is a laptop, I really don't move around
with it much, and it spends most of its time sitting on my desk and
connected to the mains.  It is pigsty.barnyard.co.uk.

plough.barnyard.co.uk is my SS2, with 64Mb.  It has a 1Gb disk for
everything apart from the web and ftp server, which uses a 4Gb disk in
a 411 case.  Today, I got a pile of 811s from a fellow rescuer, so at
least one of them will have another 4Gb stuck in it and used for
/var/spool.  plough runs 12 websites, an ftp server, primary DNS for
14 domains, mail forwarding for a few hundred people, and several
mailing lists.  It has a 15" Sun monitor and a type 5 keyboard.  The OS
is Linux - it started off as Redhat 6.0 but has mutated a *lot* since.
It needs more RAM :-)

I have one of the new G4 imacs - the 600MHz 'special edition' one, in
graphite.  I would never buy the damned flower-power Mac!  I got it
mainly so I can play with Mac OS X when it comes out, although it is
very useful having something which can run IE which I like a lot.  It
connects to the net via cowshed-door.

poacher.barnyard.co.uk is another no-name Intel box on my network, but
it's not mine.  I host it for some friends.

I have an SGI Indy (R4600SC/133 IIRC) which is currently dead.  The hard
disk died badly during the week.  I've got a new disk but haven't had
time to put it in.  It makes a very nice X terminal, and I use it as the
display for my laptop :-)

Finally, I use a Palm Vx.  Without it, I would be absolutely fucked.
I'm in two minds whether to upgrade to a Palm m505 when they come out,
or wait until the end of the year and get a new phone with Symbian
funkiness in it.  I've seen the Symbian stuff - a friend works for them -
and it is indeed most funky, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long.
Need new toy!

There are a few other machines sitting around that flat, but those are
the only ones which I really use much.  Others include: a dead 386sx; three
486-33s which I'm waiting for someone to come and pick up off me - I
believe he's going to use them as cheap routers in a school; two Amstrad
CPC 6128s - one is a 464 with its brains upgraded.  One of the Amstrads
is kitted out with pretty nearly everything that was ever made for them,
including two floppy drives (one 3", one 3.5"), a ROM box with 14 expansion
ROMs, and a serial port.  I also have a printer and scanner for it but
they're at my parents gathering dust; there's an IBM PS/2 7xxx server,
which has a Mylex RAID controller in it but whose SCSI cable is geborken;
and finally, I have two Acorn machines, an A7000 and an A4 laptop.

In the near future - the very near future - I'm getting a Sparcbook 3gx.
I say very near, cos it has been shipped already :-)  Later this year,
I'd like to get an Indigo2, a real serial terminal, and a 64Mb upgrade
for the SS2.  For the long-term, I also want a Vaxstation.

I'm also into old arcade games.  I have a Defender machine which is
unfortunately half an inch too wide to fit into my lounge, and so I have
to squeeze past it whenever I go anywhere in my flat.  When it's time to
decorate, I'll take the doorframe off - I never close that door anyway -
and move it into the lounge.  Then I'll have room for the last and most
expensive thing on my shopping list - Missile Command!

--=20
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw--