[geeks] Big Damn File System....

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 14:43:26 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:16:04PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> You know.  I bought a DDS-2 drive.  It didn't work (appaarently never
> recognized tapes in drive, even though lights started blinking when I
> inserted the tape). I asked here and other places, and was told to try
> buying a cleaning cartridge.  Clean cartridge didn't do anything
> differently from normal cartridge.  Out of ideas, but hate to buy a new
> tape drive so soon.

did you buy it used? then you got a bad drive.  happens.  sometimes when you
buy them new they go bad too, but you usually have a support contract or at
the very least a warranty in that case (and probably have just overpaid for
the blasted thing in the first place) but when you play the used market, you
sometimes get duds.  try again, chances are you'll do better this time. you
will also be very glad you did once you see all your stuff regularly backed
up to tape.

cheers,

-brian