[geeks] WTB: digital camera

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 09:54:21 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:46:19AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> What I want is the Kodak digital back and associated tons-o-stuff for the Nikon
> F4 SLR (and a Nikon F4 and lenses to go with it). This was (5-8 years ago) a
> top of the line studio digital solution for ad work and modeling.
>
> Actually, ANY digital back for any SLR would make me smile. The optics of
> modern PHD digitals leave me wanting something better.

I while heartedly agree about the annoyances of PHD digital
cams.  However, I think that what would be best would be something other
than just new camera backs to retrofit existing SLRs.  I think whole new
camera (perhaps with the abilities to take existing lenses though) would
be better.  With SLR backs, you get into either having to use a humoungous
CCD, or you have to try to cram more magnification optics in, or some
combination of the two.  While the idea of a 35mm CCD is appealing (ooh,
10k res. pics. drool), they either can't be made, or if they could be,
they are too expensive and hard to make.  I mean, how many 35mm chips have
you seen in recent years?  35mm is larger than a pentium, P2, 286, etc.

--
Joshua D. Boyd