[geeks] Re: Introductions

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 10:29:13 CDT 2001

OK, not very exciting, but here goes....

38 years old, married, with 7 dogs.

I was born in Wakefield Massachusetts on the coldest day of record in the last
half of the 20th century on New Years Eve in 1962. And I have been "cold" ever
since (just ask my ex-wife).

A boring public grade-school education was punctuated by numerous "after-school"
sessions and parent-teacher meetings (always to discuss how to "motivate"
James). I never studied, slept in class, never took notes, never did homework
and always aced my exams. The school system had the last laugh when the placed
me in "slow" classes (aka: the short bus) for high school. I was sure this was
revenge on the nerd, so I left for a private school.

I tried college after graduation, but for lack of money and motivation, I
dropped out. I was having way too much fun with two things in my life,
computers and cars, so I picked one of them for a career. It wasn't computers,
that seemed like an unobtainable dream because of my lack of college.

After realizing honest mechanics don't make good money, I went back to school
(this time for computers). I found that the extracuriccular activities werre
more fun than school. That, coupled with the exciting intern jobs I had, caused
me to go to the work force without a degree. I have never looked back.

I got disgusted with the tech life for a while and went to Tampa FL to start a
contruction company. That went ok for awhile, till my partner turned into an
ass. It was fun doing something physical for a while, I highly recommend
working with your hands now and then. In short order I lost my business and my
first wife, so back to Massachusetts for me.

Having scratched my way up the ladder of life I am now a network engineer (have
been for 8 years or so). I really enjoy what I do and it pays well. I also
spend well, so I ain't rich (never wanted to be). I work for Vicinity Corp (an
Internet entity) in Lebanon, NH. My superviser is the senior NetEng, but nearly
everything is left to me (the poor guy is moving to the dark side - aka,
Manager). We have Unix and NT/2K sysadmins, so I focus pretty exclusively on
passing bits (I'm really just a plumber). Like Brian, I too may be divorced
soon (marriage is harder than anything else I've done in my life).

In no particular order, I enjoy the following:
My dogs (now down to 7 of them).
My 'puter toys (the older the better).
Boating (a recent toy, though I boated on a lake every summer where I was
born).
Living in New Hampshire (been in FLA, PA, CA, MA (born there), like NH best).
A large variety of other geekly toys, like anything with vacuum tubes.
Watching nature (easy to do in NH).
Mosquito Genocide (its an NH thing).
Woodworking and house building/remodelling.
Fixing/using old tractors (I have too much land to mow by push-mower).

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!