[geeks] MUD needs a name

Amy geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 03:13:05 CDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> ok, this is indirectly the fault of Jon Katz for pointing me to Rob Byer for
> help with VMS stuff.  well, as it would be, Rob ported CircleMUD to VMS.  well.
> i'm a MUD addict.  not addicted to playing mind you.  addicted to running,
> administrating, and coding for muds.  not area building either.

meep.

> so i was thinking.  why just do "another mud" when we can be the geeks we are.
> let's do a SunHELP/RESCUE/GEEKS mud.  screw fighting red dragons.

purple ones are much more cute, anyhow.

> a SPARCstation 20.  replace all those mythological references with computer
> ones.

noble.

> first things first.  let's think up a name that is more creative than VAX-MUD
> (shouldn't be too terribly hard)

hrm. i despise anything that has "mud" at the beginning or end of it.
reminds me of my ex (massively obsessed psychotic violent mud
addict/larp/vlarp addict) and i vowed in '97 i'd never have anything to do
with socially stunted gamers or their circles of politically
backbiting friends ever again. i've started ranting about it again, havent
i? sorry bout that.

so, you need a name. i have a url. how about 'jurassic sparc'?

> although i could probably whip up a couple lines
> of text explaining the basics just enough to get you working.

erm, this would be a very good idea. use small words and phrases!

> so who's up for it?

me, just please dont make/put any 'zork' references anywhere in there. for
my sanity, please--but thats another story for another day.

--a