Jon's Integrity (was Re: [geeks] Etiquette)

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 09:09:22 CDT 2001

> It just goes to show you, you should never listen to what the doctors say
> about your bodies (and you minds, and hearts) ability to heal itself.

After taking my own attempt at clothes removal via pavement several years
back, (Honda Rebel - only bike I could afford in college) I was in the RI
Hospital emergency room.  The doctor came in, asked if I new what happened,
and through a concussion-induced haze told him that my right shoulder was
broken in what felt like several places.  He proceeds to grab my wrist nad
twist my arm violently - asking if it hurt!  If my father hadn't been on the
other side of the bed to catch my left arm as I arced it toward his face,
the doctor may have been in the bed next to me!

It was about 5 minutes later, after asking for tylenol, that I found out
exactly how allergic to Morphine I am.  All I wanted was Tylenol - not
addictive/illicit/damaging drugs.  *That* is not an experience I would want
to repeat - EVER.

A week later, after being in the hospital for 3 days due to morphine
sickness, I visited a bone doctor (what are those called?) that told me I
would never be 100% in my right shoulder.  And it might take me a month to
even raise my hand to waist level.

THpppplt!  I was always into fitness and had a set of small dumbells.  I
started that afternoon doing small excersises, and raising the weight and
intensity over 2 weeks.

When I went to visit the bone doctor two weeks later he was surprised to see
me lift my hand over my head, lift a ten pound weight over my head, and
perform various feats of strength.  An X-Ray showed a nearly healed
shoulder-blade and collar-bone!

Never trust your doctor implicitly - and always get second opinions!

Kurt