[geeks] UPS and shipping morons

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 08:09:12 CDT 2001

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 12:52:03AM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Screw them. They wasted an Ultra 30, and a pristine RDI IPX BriteLite I
so
> > wanted. Not a dime in reparations.
>
> Apparently if you dont double-box, they void all insurance.

Any time I've taken boxes to the UPS customer counter for shipping, the
counter rep *ALWAYS* opens the box and roots around to make sure "it's
packed good".  Unless you bring a packing reciept from an "accredited"
packer, they won't issue insurance.  Even the the cheesy 'first hundred
dollars' insurance.

Lately the Postal Service has come a long way ina  short time.  Even
huge-mongous packages shipped 3 day priority mail make it in three days - in
as-packed condition.  As a bonus, the USPS is about half (or less) UPS and
about 30% of Fedex.  I've started shipping all my stuff via USPS -
because,lets face it, when do you *really* need something there overnight?

Kurt