[geeks] UPS and shipping morons

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 28 21:01:24 CDT 2001

(note: MBE = Mail Boxes Etc., www.mbe.com)

MBE *blows*.  They charged me $38 today, to do the following:

	- single-layer bubble wrap U30
	- put U30 in box with peanuts
	- double-box that box in another w/peanuts
	- bubble-wrap laptop case and put in box w/peanuts

THEN, after they had all this packed, they tell me that
the only method they have that will ship to ZIP 33178 is
FedEx, which *starts* at $150 for 3-day for the single U30
box.  WTF?  UPS *owns* MBE, and *they* cant even ship UPS?

I tell them never mind, pay for the packing (which is ridiculous,
part of it is a $10 "labor charge", and *I* was the one who had
to put the U30 in the first box, THEN put the second box in the
first one, because the counter chick couldnt lift it!).  I put the
boxes in the back of Amy's car, and we went to the local pack and
ship place that I frequent (and should have gone to anyway).

After lambasting me for even THINKING of going to MBE (which was
well deserved.. *grin* I've been going to Drive-Thru Postal since
March of '99 for *all* the shipping/mailing I do), they pulled up
the address on the computer and said "Sure, UPS ground, not a problem".

I'm *never* going near MBE again.  What a bunch of overcharging, clueless
fucks (turns out they charged me $14 for a box that my normal place
charges $5 for...).

*grumble*

Reminds me of the time that UPS roached a 9G SCSI HD I sent to someone.
After processing the claim, they took a MONTH to get my refund check
to me - and this is after they *sent it to the wrong address* twice!
I called them on the phone and suggested that they send it to me
via FedEx Overnight Letter - so I'd be *sure* to receive it...  The
lady on the other end was NOT pleased.

I've also had UPS deliver things addressed to me to the ENTIRELY WRONG
house.  Not just next door, or across the street, but 3 or 4
blocks away.  Tracking would say "delivered", I'd call them up "yo,
there aint a package on my porch".  They'd say "oh, thats at xxxx
Qual Creek, it was delivered."  I'd drive over to wherever, pick up
my package off the porch, and look at the address - yep, my correct
address, all right.  YOUD THINK THEY WOULD CATCH THAT IT WASNT DELIVERED
TO THE RIGHT ADDRESS, if they *knew* where it was delivered!  Things like
a wedding dress, a Plextor 8/4/32 cd-rw, etc.

MORONS.

(oh, BTW, *always* double-box computers when using UPS or any other
 "oops" carrier - see
http://content.sunhelp.org/boards/tn/ultra30case.jpg.html for what
happens when an Ultra30 isnt properly packed and then the box is
beat up by the shipping goons... fortunately its a replaceable side
panel and no interior/structural damage; purely cosmetic..)

bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net