[geeks] New toy!

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 09:16:15 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:59:54PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

> I might be able to beg/borrow a tape drive from work - there's all sorts of
> stuff lurking in cupboards.  Including some Vaxen which I'm going to rescue.
> Failing that, the PDP does have 5.25" floppy drives.

if you need anything, just ask.  i can make media for you and ship it your way
if you need.

> Yeah, I get the idea.  I've used VMS briefly, but only as a user.

i've started using VMS quite a lot recently, as a manager.  it's, uhm, quite
different, but the more i mess around with the the more sense it makes.

it's definitely a different way of thinking.  it's also a very well thought out
system.  they just didn't give the UI too much thought. :)

getting that 4000 this weekend, it has SCSI cards in it, so i can slap a CD-ROM
drive to my 4000/400 this weekend and get OpenVMS 7.2 on it (what i have media
for) and then pretty soon i'll have a cluster running.  woo!!!

> [goes there, subscribes to info-pdp11]

info-pdp11 eh?  hmm, i better go subscribe to that. :)

> 'Twould be nice.  But maybe info-pdp11 is that list.

didn't even know info-pdp11 existed. :)

-brian