[geeks] New toy!

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 07:59:54 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 12:32:52PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:57:16AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> >
> > I don't really know anything about the differences.  From what I gather,
> > RSX-11 was the most advanced.  My lack of a tape drive is going to make
> > OS installation a pain.
>
> hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah, that is going to be a pain.  you can't get any
> tape drives at all??  how about floppies?  i could put any OS on floppy for you
> since i've got both 5.25" and 8" here.  let me know.

I might be able to beg/borrow a tape drive from work - there's all sorts of
stuff lurking in cupboards.  Including some Vaxen which I'm going to rescue.
Failing that, the PDP does have 5.25" floppy drives.

> RSX-11 is closest to VMS of all of them, both in "feel" and in capability. it's
> the predesesor[sic] to VMS, so if you've used VMS before, it won't be wholy
> alien to you.  it'll be like using 2BSD after using 4BSD (not a direct
> comparrison, but i'm hoping you know what i mean)

Yeah, I get the idea.  I've used VMS briefly, but only as a user.

> > Bill, didn't you mention that you had a PDP mailing list running on sunhelp?
>
> www.pdp11.org

[goes there, subscribes to info-pdp11]

> our hardware working. :)

'Twould be nice.  But maybe info-pdp11 is that list.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson