[geeks] T H E??b r i Q

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 13:27:02 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:21:54AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> Yeah, but what I really need is better video acceleration.  This will
> probably take the form of getting an old SGI (hey, blender runs on Irix
> 5.3 for R3k, and it is probably faster on that then a PC 20x faster, but
> with out video acceleration), waiting till I can get a newer SGI
> (hopefully I'll keep this job part time in the fall, then I probably will
> be able to afford that), or finding someone who can fix the video
> acceleration on my XFree install for me.  Because, having just enough ram
> isn't as bad as having to use software rendering.

but what good is hardware acceleration if you don't have enough ram to hold
everything?  disks are SLOW and so if you can't keep everything in fast RAM
then what's the point?  or is my lack of understanding of this field so great
that i can't just apply common sense to it?

> I wonder what version of OpenGL is used on Irix 5.3... I know that even
> Irix 6.2 is a touch out of date (don't remeber version number, but it is a
> version from when texturing is still viewed as an extension).

maybe i could be convinced to get 5.3 on the PI 4d and see.  although i'm
missing a monitor and keyboard for it, i can still install headless, and i
should be able to tell you what version it's got?

you'd have to help me out, i'm NOT and IRIX user.

-brian