[geeks] T H E??b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 08:21:54 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:06:47AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Thing is, I don't get paid for doing this type of thing, and when doing it
> > is the main time I need more RAM currently, so I find it hard to justify
> > to myself buying more RAM at this time, even with as cheap as it is.
>
> there is never a good reason to not have your ram maxed.  i've never found one
> anyway. :)

Yeah, but what I really need is better video acceleration.  This will
probably take the form of getting an old SGI (hey, blender runs on Irix
5.3 for R3k, and it is probably faster on that then a PC 20x faster, but
with out video acceleration), waiting till I can get a newer SGI
(hopefully I'll keep this job part time in the fall, then I probably will
be able to afford that), or finding someone who can fix the video
acceleration on my XFree install for me.  Because, having just enough ram
isn't as bad as having to use software rendering.

I wonder what version of OpenGL is used on Irix 5.3... I know that even
Irix 6.2 is a touch out of date (don't remeber version number, but it is a
version from when texturing is still viewed as an extension).

--
Joshua D. Boyd