[geeks] New toy!

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 11:03:49 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:24:46PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

> Not sure what OS - I'd like to try one of the 'traditional' PDP OSen, but
> failing that, 2.11 BSD.

i've got RT-11 and RSTS, don't have RSX-11 though (that's what i really want
to run)

> I have to confess, I haven't even got it as far as trying to boot the OS
> yet so don't even know if there's one on there or whether the disk was
> wiped, I just verified that it would power up without any unduly nasty
> noises.

heh, you might be surprised.  then again, you might get what you expect. :)

> Getting ethernet for it would be great, but I suspect that those boards
> are going to be rare as rocking horse shit.  SCSI would be even cooler,

ethernet is far easier to find than SCSI.  although i really need to start
looking for some ethernet cards, need two, one for the 11/23+ and one for the
11/83

> especially if I'm going to be giving people accounts on it.  The RD-52A
> isn't exactly going to provide lots of elbow-room for people testing
> their latest magnum opus.

disk space is always a good thing. :)  have you considered ESDI?  if you look
around you should very easily be able to find a couple ESDI drives and a QBus
ESDI controller.

-brian