[geeks] New toy!

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 07:24:46 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:09:54PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 07:24:45PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Some of you may remember a very nice man from White Arrow in the UK telling
> > us that they had some PDP-11s to give to loving homes...
> >
> > It's a /73 with an RD-52A disk.  There's no expansion cards ...
>
> that's cool.  so what OS are you thinking of running on it?  why not slap an
> ethernet board in there and put TCP/IP on it?  that's what i plan on doing with
> my RT-11 box once i get my hands on an ethernet card for it.

Not sure what OS - I'd like to try one of the 'traditional' PDP OSen, but
failing that, 2.11 BSD.

I have to confess, I haven't even got it as far as trying to boot the OS
yet so don't even know if there's one on there or whether the disk was
wiped, I just verified that it would power up without any unduly nasty
noises.

Getting ethernet for it would be great, but I suspect that those boards
are going to be rare as rocking horse shit.  SCSI would be even cooler,
especially if I'm going to be giving people accounts on it.  The RD-52A
isn't exactly going to provide lots of elbow-room for people testing
their latest magnum opus.

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson