[geeks] Foundry vs. LocalDirector

Dan Debertin geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 01:12:57 CDT 2001

Foundry:

----
Pros
----
Cheap! ($5-7K. If you don't get that kind of price, I can put
you in touch with our VAR.)
High port density.
No moving parts apart from fans.
Good support -- easy to get on the phone with good techs, provided
	you have a support contract.
Very stable when used in standard configurations
The load-balancer is a switch, not a router. Easier to integrate into
	the network.
-----
Cons
-----
They're still finding themselves, software-wise. Some new features are
	implemented in hackish or broken ways.
In my experience, they seldom do tests with non-Foundry gear to
	ensure interoperability.
The load-balancer is a switch, not a router. It can cause _mayhem_ when
	it's in a transitional or non-standard state, i.e.
	broadcast storms, etc.

-----
Per your question, they do handle failover of the servers, as well as (if
you buy two...) the loadbalancers themselves.

I can't speak for Cisco, except that I'm sure they're expensive, and they
probably have joystick ports ;)

~Dan D.
--
Dan Debertin