[geeks] IBM RS/6000 7012-3XX

Boatman on the River of Suck geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 16:13:26 CST 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, William S . wrote:

> I will be heading to a computer market tomorrow
> in Amsterdam and am on the lookout for an
> IBM RS/6000 7012-3XX type box.
> I found quite a bit of technical information
> at the IBM web site but was interested in a few
> other details.

They are really zippy boxes.

> Assuming I find one:
>
> 1.  How important is it that it have a key?

It's pretty important.  If you don't have the key, you will probably have
to replace the lock with a switch.

> 2.  How important is it that it have media
>     or able to boot up? (Can I download and install
>     the appropriate version somewhere?)

Yes.  I have media.  Email me.

> 3.  What is an approximate cash value?

Depends on the model.  A 350 is worth about US$50 without network, video,
or memory.

> 4.  Are components easy to come by or should
>     I really take a look to make sure everything
>     is there?

Components are indeed easy to come by, with a couple of notable
exceptions.

Peace...  Sridhar