[geeks] Software Bloat

D.A. Muran-de Assereto geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 23:53:42 CST 2001

> From: dave at cca.org
> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:54:07 EST
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Software Bloat
>
> n2vip at yahoo.com writes:
>
>> I was playing with paper tape in the 7th grade - on an ASR-33 (or was it
>> KSR-33?) terminal dialed in to the Lawrence Livermore Labs-Berkley just over
>
> ASR (Automatic Send & Receive) has paper tape.
> KSR (Keyboard Send & Receive) does not.
The USAF taught me to type in 1979 on a KSR-33 which had an 8-level paper
tape punch on it. When we joined the modern world in 1983 or 4, the HP minis
we used had an attached high-speed 8-level paper tape punch. We would spend
hours working and then take this gargantuan roll of tape down to the comm
center for transmission.
Not sure exactly, but I think the last tape I punched was in the late 80's,
a five-level tape which was fed into an HF radio which transmitted at
something like 12-15 bps.
The military always provides interesting experiences....

Dave Muran-de Assereto