[geeks] Software Bloat

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 22:02:38 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:33:07PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > I did do quite a bit of line number hacking in the late 80s (I was so
> proud of
>
> I think you are confusing line graphics with line numbers here...

I meant hacking on a line numbered basic.  And I was doing line graphics with
it (although I also had fills.  Yeehaa).

>>And where were you doing that?  Wasn't paper tape mostly gone by the time you
>
> I was playing with paper tape in the 7th grade - on an ASR-33 (or was it
> KSR-33?) terminal dialed in to the Lawrence Livermore Labs-Berkley just over
> the hill (I was at school in Oakland) at 110 baud (dial - I mean stick your
> finger in the round thing a dial - the phone number for the computer, wait
> for the tones, then jam the handset into the two cups of the acoustic
> couplers burning up the wires at 110 baud!
>
> It was in 1975 aprox.

Hmm.  Long time ago.  Yep.  Yah old fogey.  To bad they didn't have you hack
lisp back then.  My first computing experiences were CPM boxes that my
grandfather kept giving us.  Well, that isn't entirely true.  We had one
machine (Timex sinclair maybe?) before CPM, but I was to young to really
remeber it well, other than vague remeberences of playing text only video
games on TV that were loaded from cassete.

--
Joshua D. Boyd