Counters and Cars (was: Re: [geeks] new lists? 8-))

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 14:59:56 CST 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 12:27, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:19:33PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> > > While we are on the topic, what is a yuppie anyway?  All I know is that
> > > supposedly they drive SUVs or german cars, and buy Vikings.  The word
> > > materialist seems to get used a lot also.
> >
> > hrm, i dunno bout the rest of the world. my guess is the definition is
> > very personal...i define a yuppie nowadays as anyone who buys granite
> > countertops for the look instead of marble ones (or any other type) for
> > the use.
>
> What I really hate is Corian (I think that is the right word) counter tops.
> Looks exactly like marble, but it won't stand up to anything.  People
> apparently buy it because they want the marble look, but without the marble
> price.  I think they might have imitation granite now also.

I dunno what kind of stuff you guys had, but we just put in solid Corian
countertops in the kitchen here, and they're really great.  I don't cut
directly on the countertop, but I've got a bunch of "leftover" cutting
boards made from the same stuff, and they don't have any scratches in
them at all.  As for getting the stains off, ours came with a video
(egads, WTF?), on how to polish out stuff.  We usually just use bleach
to remove the deep stains.
I've not had any trouble making bread on them, but I only make bread
once a week or so.
BTW, if you have granite, please be kind to your knives, and don't cut
on it.  Granite is so hard that it takes the edge off of knives, almost
on the first slice.  A friend used to cut on that stuff all the time,
and using her knives was like trying to use knives sharpened by
Tenderfoot scouts (the ones who don't even know which side of the knife
to sharpen).

[snip]

On the car front, I don't own any.  I've got my 1984 Trek 660 steel road
bike, with fenders, and backpack.  I do live in the city, but I'll
frequently go out for 50+ miles in a day.  Cargo capacity with computers
leaves something to be desired.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.