[geeks] sgi i2 opengl/glut perf question

Daniel Johannsson geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 09:25:05 CST 2001

>   Well first of all, gcc's code generation SUCKS on MIPS processors.
> Bigtime.  Use SGI's cc on those machines.

That is easier said than done.  Isn't a mipspro cc license something like
$600?  A bit too expensive for me as a hobbyist. Is there some cheaper
more resonably priced hobbyist/developer license that I don't know
of?

>   Were R10K/195s even shipping in 1996?  That machine has GREAT BIG
> HAIRY BALLS by this year's OR last year's standards.  I'd say there's
> an optimization issue here.  And maybe a bit of a memory
> shortage...192MB isn't much under recent releases of IRIX.
>
>     -Dave
I thought 96 was the time it shipped, but most of my sgi knowledge
I've learned from usenet, and therefore probably isn't all too
accurate.
It didn't look like there was a memory shortage, ivview wasn't
taking up too much, and the model isn't that big.
I'm leaning towards the lack of optimization being the cause,
is inventor stuff normally inefficient?  Is ivview an old
and possibly abandoned/crappy app?
A 100x100 (20k triangles) mesh isn't that big and shouldn't
be a problem for a machine that supposedly can do 1.5mil
shaded tris.
later,

Dan