[geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement

Andrew Weiss geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 11:25:16 CST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Pick your poison of SMTP server and add Cyrus-IMAP, and an LDAP server
> if you really think you need shared address books, etc.

Shared address books compatible with Outlook and Public Folders that are
members of distribution lists... that's about it... We have a company
calendar but nobody but myself uses it.

> Remote access == SSH, and/or a roaming IPsec client.

I know those solutions, I'm just looking for buzzword type experience with
Kerberos and other things... it would be total overkill but if I can say I
did it on my resume my honesty in interviews won't be so disabling.

I really hate saying that I don't have large environment experience... or
that I have Solaris experience (but then somehow have to refer back to the
fact that it was hobby experience with 2.5.1 back in college... and of
course I can't tell them why I had 600 users on my little AMD hybrid
5x86 133... hint XXX) ... eech.  And of course this system also sported
Linux, Openstep 4.2, and SCO Openserver 5 at different times as well.

> What are you waiting for?  Just get a decent enough server running Samba
> et al and begin moving things over to it!

a non depressing day where I've applied for enough jobs for the week that
I can sit back and read my Solaris text books or fiddle with systems.  I
have no backup servers just the production ones so I have to take them
offline in a planned and careful way in order to do this migration.

The CEO and CFO already know I want to trash NT and are firm believers in
Linux et al... etc. Our business is partially based on it... or was
supposed to be... and it will save them money in software licensing.

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.