[geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 20:12:05 CST 2001

[ On Tuesday, December 11, 2001 at 17:27:19 (-0500), Andrew Weiss wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement
>
> Citrix Metaframe 1.8 (for admin only so a freeware solution that works
> over a modem is fine...graphical of course... i.e. I can ssh in just fine
> otherwise and may prefer it but for completeness sake I want to do a full
> migration which will eventually include desktops but I want the experience
> relatively seamless)

huh?  I have no idea what you think you want there.  You probably don't
either though!  ;-)  What more could you want than SSH?  What else other
than SSHv2 is secure enough?

> IIS 4.0 currently using ASP for Outlook Web Access (garbage that can be
> easily replaced)

I should say so!  :-)

> Exchange 5.5 (here's the toughy..  I need something with POP and IMAP
> support as well as being more than just a mail server.  Something I can
> plug Outlook into temporarily and later move to an open client..)

Pick your poison of SMTP server and add Cyrus-IMAP, and an LDAP server
if you really think you need shared address books, etc.

Or go "commercial" with the iPlanet suite of such tools -- it comes
bundled with Solaris-9 now.....  I think there's even a shared calendar
tool in it now too.  I think it's a waste of licensing money, but you
might think otherwise.

> Easy file services and support for NT (i.e. the best Samba package and
> tools)... and a UNIX analog for the dummies when I finally migrate the
> desktops.  I'm sure this is a snap with KDE's file manager and standard
> NFS mounts.

A far as I know there haven't been any problems with Samaba at one of
our larger client sites where Solaris rules the datacentre.....

> Something that isn't present but I need to cut my teeth on:
> Directory services, Security services, and possibly remote access.

Directory services == LDAP.

Security services == nothing (i.e. it's a fake requirement)

Remote access == SSH, and/or a roaming IPsec client.

> I'm looking to build a rough Santa's workshop here that still functions in
> a corporate environment but would cure my insane boredom here and give me
> a leg up to get my ass out of here.

What are you waiting for?  Just get a decent enough server running Samba
et al and begin moving things over to it!

--
								Greg A. Woods